The opapbet.com.cy team encourages responsible gaming and develops actions for the prevention, protection, and treatment in cases of addiction. Please spend some time to read the gaming rules.
By ‘Safe Gambling’ we mean a series of actions aiming at protecting and preventing the general public and especially the most vulnerable social groups (e.g. minors) from dependency and addiction to Betting.
More specifically, in OPAP SPORTS LTD we develop actions for Safe Gambling which aim at informing the Players:
- On how to maximise the entertainment offered by Betting or other Games of Chance and how to avoid the dangers they present.
- On the gaming rules.
GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF SAFER GAMBLING
OPAP SPORTS LTD is fully compliant with NBA’s directives of player’s protection. Especially:
- Registered players shall have the right by electronic request to:
- Set the limit of the amount of the bet, in a given period of time,
- Set the limit on the amount that the player can lose in a given period of time,
- Set the time limit within which the player can bet, and
- Exclude (opt out) themselves from betting, either for a certain period or indefinitely
- Withdrawal of a limit or any modification to it which results to reduced player protection may only be carried out seven (7) days after the Class B bookmaker receives the player‘s electronic request, whereas any modification which results to increased player protection shall have an immediate effect upon receiving the relevant electronic request.
- Self-exclusion is terminated automatically upon completion of the selected opt out period and any request for increase of the opt out period shall have immediate effect and application after the Class B bookmaker receives the electronic request.
- For the purposes of this Directive:
- setting a limit according to section (a)(i), provides the player with the possibility of setting maximum limits per bet or/and per deposit over a certain period of time or/and for losses occurring over a certain period of time,
- setting a limit according to section (a)(ii), provides the player with the possibility of setting limits per deposit or/and for losses occurring over a certain period of time,
- setting a limit according to section (a)(iii), provides the player with the possibility of temporarily opting out from the opportunity to bet for a certain time period, either on a daily basis or on a certain day or days.
Responsible Players are people who:
- Set a monetary threshold for Betting or playing other Games of Chance from the beginning and never exceed it for any reason.
- Do not borrow money to play.
- Do not play money allocated to other everyday needs.
- Do not try to break even by gambling more money.
- Are aware and well-informed and believe they cannot affect betting or other games of chance.
- Do not consume alcohol and are in a good mental health state so their perception and judgement are not negatively affected.
What do smart Players do?
- They avoid spending money allocated to other needs on betting or other Games of Chance.
- They stop playing or they play less in order to secure the money allocated to other needs.
- They avoid spending small sums of money or change too often to participate in Games of Chance.
- They do not play to win back lost money.
- They avoid considering Games of Chance as the solution of their problems and worries.
- They never borrow money to play.
- They consider the money they spent to play as the price one plays to have fun.
- They do not lie to their loved ones for the money or the time they spent playing.
- They seek help from specialists when they realize they tend to spend more or play more often.
- They do not abandon their work or studies to play.
- They do not play when they feel sad, lonely, bored, emotionally charged, or stressed.
- They always set limits on gaming and NEVER go beyond!
- They always only play the amount of money they had set from the start.
- They stop playing when they reach their predetermined monetary threshold.
- They are aware of the time they spend playing and of the sums they spend.
- They use the self-exclusion feature when possible.
- They are informed on the odds of winning.
TO THE FAMILY OR FRIENDS OF ADDICTED PLAYERS
For Players who have crossed boundaries by engaging in Games of Chance, it is important they realize that:
- They are not alone in their problem and they can find understanding and support either in familiar faces or in specialists.
- It is important that they are honest with themselves as well as with others.
- They must be prepared for the withdrawal effects.
- They will be able to help themselves by finding activities that will distract them from Games of Chance.
The help and support of family and friends of Players who deal with addiction to Games of Chance may be key in their rehabilitation.
We help our addicted friends by:
- Accepting them as they are. Denouncing them may make their situation worse.
- Encouraging them to realize their addiction.
- Explaining they are responsible for their actions.
- Motivating them to change.
- Encouraging them to accept help from mental health professionals or self-help groups.
SUPPORT PROGRAMMES FOR PLAYERS ADDICTED TO BETTING OR OTHER GAMES OF CHANCE
If someone believes they have an issue related to betting or other Games of Chance (or they believe a member of their family or friend does), they may call 1456 for persons under 22 years of age and 1454 for persons over 22 years of age.
Also, you can learn about all the available programmes of rehabilitation and emotional support here.
Installing a blocking and protection software
The blocking software is a computer programme which restricts the access to websites available online.
There are two types of blocking and protection software:
1. A general blocking software designed to block the access to websites chosen by the persons and imposing parental control.
2. A special software to block betting websites.
Here you can find examples of website blocking software which are either offered for free or with a fee. OPAP SPORTS LTD encourages Players to do their research and decide for themselves, based on their own criteria.
OPAP SPORTS LTD shall in no case be considered liable for the software Players shall choose to install.
PLAYER’S SELF-EVALUATION QUESTIONNAIRE
Please fill in the questionnaire here to find out whether your Betting hobby is an issue.
If for some reason you are not satisfied, you have the right to contact the National Betting Authority of Cyprus:
Address: Digeni Akrita 83, 1070 Nicosia, Telephone Number: +357 22881800, Email: email@example.com
Betting and gambling has risks and could potentially be harmful.